[MPlayer-cygwin] Re: colorspaces vs graphics cards

Joey Parrish joey at nicewarrior.org
Mon Apr 26 20:32:50 CEST 2004

On Mon, Apr 26, 2004 at 05:49:22PM +0600, Andrey Sapozhnikov wrote:
> >>May be you can simply add pre-compiled list (or make it's
> >>possible to define such list in mplayer.conf) of well
> >>known bad (slow or broken) cards/drivers/modes and mplayer
> >>will not autoselect it?

> >Done.  Add vf=noformat=yv12 to your config file.

> I mean something like:
>
> -vf refuse=geForce2/1.0...42.55/yv12,\
> geForce4/1.0...42.55/yv12,\
> ATI\ RageIIC/*/BGR32,\

This is pointless.
How often do you change video cards?

> I have already told that I can easy tune mplayer on
> my own computer, but what to do with mplayer burned on
> CD? Copies of this CD (with presentation and autorunning
> mplayer on it) will be distributed between people having
> computers with unknown hardware and software. Mplayer is
> good choice for this purpose because it require nothing
> except DirectX for working. Once I want in addition to
> current functionality is a bit better adaptation to
> detected hardware/drivers without users intervention.

Look, a perfect solution without rewritable media is not going to
happen.  You're going to have to comprimise and come up with a decent
heuristic.  For example, most of the time, accelerated RGB overlays are
fast enough.  And MPlayer's YUV to RGB conversions are fast enough.
Just make sure that you enable runtime cpu detection, disable all yuv
spaces, and that you don't distribute ridiculously high-bitrate or
extremely high-resolution videos.  I'm sure you won't have optimal
performance everywhere, but you'll have good enough performance to get
your job done and nobody will notice the difference.

--Joey

--
"Of the seven dwarves, the only one who shaved was Dopey.
That should tell us something about the wisdom of shaving."