[MPlayer-cygwin] colorspaces vs graphics cards

Joey Parrish joey at nicewarrior.org
Sun Apr 25 08:15:50 CEST 2004

On Sat, Apr 24, 2004 at 11:35:37PM -0500, Compn wrote:
> > > Now I'm not sure this is correct.  The best colorspace is codec
> > > dependent IIRC.  So what should the suggestion be, use vf_format, use
> > > vf_noformat, play around with either if you get bad performance or
> > > none of the above?
>
> isnt it possible to fix this into the codecs.conf? just by removing the
> slower colorspaces from OUT part of each codec?

No, this is no good.  Codecs.conf should list all working output
formats, so that if the filter chain decides it _needs_ a certain space,
it should certainly get it.

> then what we need is filename extention based vo options (so -vo
> directx for .avi, and -vo winvidix for mpeg) .

This is stupid.  That makes no sense.  You can't make any determination
of what vo to use based on the file extension.  For one, the extension
isn't what MPlayer bases it's format detection on.  For another, the
file format has nothing to do with it.  Even the codec isn't your
problem.

> vo directx is faster than vo winvidix for avi, and vo winvidix is
> faster on mpegs than directx on my sys with the same options. crazy!

Avi is just a container format.  That has nothing to do with the codec
or colorspace.

> (xvid and mpeg1 tested) i think its because yv12 isint supported on
> nvidia in windows with winvidix, and thats what directx uses, while
> winvidix uses yv12 to yuy2 conversion (slow!)

Then your problem is _not_ the codec, it's not the format, it's not the
extension.  It's your vo and your filter chain.  If yv12 conversion gets
done by drivers, use vf noformat and force MPlayer to convert it the
correct (fast) way.  Changing (breaking) codecs.conf and having
extension-based vo decisions is all completely out of the question.

--Joey

--
"I know Kung Fu." --Darth Vader