[MPlayer-cygwin] Benchmark supported overlay formats and usefastest one

Sascha Sommer saschasommer at freenet.de
Thu Apr 22 19:51:22 CEST 2004

> On Thu, Apr 22, 2004 at 07:06:12PM +0600, Andrey Sapozhnikov wrote:
> > I have found by chance, that mplayer requires nearly twice
> > less CPU power with -dr -vf yuy2 parameters on my
> > Celeron 800 + ATI Rage IIC AGP card (vo directx).  Investigating
> > log I find out that mplayer choose BGR32 by default, although
> > it is not optimal from best perfomance point of view.

Yes. It is the best to use yuy2 in case yv12 is not support.
BGR32 is only used because swscaler selects the rgb formats first when both
are supported by the hw.

> I have found that many windows boxen do not really support the formats
> they report.  For example, my laptop "supports" YV12 overlay, but I get
> very poor results with it despite direct rendering and no conversion
> filters.  Converting to BGR32, though, I get better performance.  I
> suspect that many cards do not actually support YV12 and the drivers do
> the conversion themselves.  (badly.)  And just yesterday I discovered
> that my best overlay is YVU9.  (YUY2 is just as bad as YV12 here.)
>
> > The similar result I got on another machine (P4 1.7GHz Nvidia
> > GeForce2 MX400). it choose YV12 format by default, but yuy2
> > is nearly twice faster.
>
> These situations are why I committed the noformat filter.
> Add -vf noformat=yv12 and yv12 will never be used.

I think it is very system and driver dependant. For my Riva128, yv12 is
nearly always faster.
Didn't benchmark this with my radeon, though because radeon_vid beats
directx with yv12. Bad that radeon_vid causes random system locks for me on
windows...
Btw. does someone know how to debug such problems on win?