[MPlayer-cygwin] Re: New Feature Request: Where?

rds_correia rds_correia at sapo.pt
Tue Apr 13 21:36:31 CEST 2004

Sascha Sommer <saschasommer <at> freenet.de> writes:

> >Hi again,
> >Thanks for your prompt reply Sascha.
> >I guess you get the picture from what Stefan Gürtler wrote.
> >We have a workaround for it but it keeps failing.
> >We're using makeAVIS from Milan Cutzka (I believe that's how it spell his
> >name) that is usually bundled with FFvfw and later with FFdshow.
> >This makeAVIS builds a small fake AVI that we throw on MEncoder.
> >But as I say that is not an ideal solution because it crashes sometimes.
> >I believe the problem lies in makeAVIS because I've never seen MEncoder
> >crashing with "real" AVIs or with VOBs.
> >I already use Mplayer as my player of choice for a couple of months.
> >Now I'd like to use MEncoder as my encoder of choice but we really need
> >Avisynth support like in FFvfw or the new QuEnc by Nic of www.doom9.org,
> all
> >libavcodec based encoders.
> >Thanks for your time.
>
> The problem is that avisynth scripts make use of dshow features etc.. Adding
> support
> for mencoder won't happen anytime soon, because mencoder is based on
> completely different apis.
> At least I won't add support for those scripts. Instead you should
> find out what you are really missing. There are lot of filter already and it
> probably won't
> be difficult to port other filters. Mencoder already support encoding from
> nearly every format
> into various other formats. So what is the goal of these scripts? The edit
> feature?
>
> Sascha

Hi Sascha,
Many thanks for your prompt reply.
In fact we're (at kvcd.net) pretty much used to the filtering techniques used
with avisynth and until now it has been compatible with most encoders we've
used so far such as TmpgEnc, Cinema Craft Encoder and MainConcept Encoder,
amongst many others.
We're also very pleased with the filtering native in MEncoder but yet it lacks
something very important: Motion Adaptive.
It's supposed to check the source every frame and notice changes in motion
where it will blur more or less if needed thus improving compressability and
smoothness of final encoded stream.
You could pay us a visit at the forum here
http://www.kvcd.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3999 and check it by yourself if you
can find some spare time.
The main aspects of MA are discussed in the first posts.
Other new technique has been raised at www.doom9.org by FuPP and that claims
to be able to apply different filtering levels in the same frame.
You can check that here http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?
s=&threadid=70734&highlight=hybridfupp
Also you can check out the MEncoder section of the forum at kvcd.net here
http://www.kvcd.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=68
That is manly MEncoder for win32 related but you will also find
FFvfw/FFdshow/FFmpeg posts.
No need to register in the forum to be able to read the posts although we'd be
delighted to have you in our community :)
I just want to make it perfectly clear that we do understand that
MPlayer/MEncoder are under heavy/fast development and that in such a time like
this the developer have to make choices because something must be left behind
in order to improve stability of the "product".
But we just want you all to know that Avisynth is a very very powerfull peace
of software made frameserver and it's actually very fast too.
So if you think you could find sometime to check on Avisynth we would already
feel very pleased with that.
This way you would get aware of it and you could realise that maybe it's not
time yet to make mencoder compativle with it but that it deserves to be added
to a To-Do list or something like that.
Phew, sorry for this big "testament" :)
Regards,

Rui