[MPlayer-cygwin] mp3lame encoding

Sycotic Smith sycotic at linuxmail.org
Wed Feb 12 20:28:39 CET 2003

> I just discovered mplayer and mencoder about a week ago for the cygwin
> environment, and absolutely love it! Being able to encode DVDs directly
> from the source is outstanding, however I'm running into some trouble with
> the audio portion of the encoding.
>
> When I set -oac to copy, the files are small, and the audio sounds great,
> but only when played through mplayer. When I try to play a movie made with
> -oac copy in any other player (ZoomPlayer is my player of choice in Win),
> there's no audio at all. The -oac pcm option does produce audio that works
> in all the players I've tried, but the files are of cours ehuge.
>
> I noticed the use of the mp3lame library in some of the dvd coding
> examples, and I was able to successfully download and compile the latest
> version of lame in my CYGWIN term. 'make install' copied libmp3lame.a and
> libmp3lame.la into /usr/local/lib, but when I try to reconfigure mplayer
> to see that libmp3lame is now available, it's never able to find it, so of
> course I can't encode with it..
>
> I also managed to find a version with lame_enc.dll, and copied that into
> my c:\windows\system32\ directory, but still mplayer's ./configure can't
> find it.
>
> What's the trick that I'm missing, or is it not possible to make this
> work? I'd really love to get lame working so I can encode audio in a
> reasonable way..
>
> Thanks a lot!
>
> - Emmanuel

For starters, check the configure.log file and give us the section that tells WHY it failed to find/load libmp3lame.  That will give us something to go on.  What version of libmp3lame are you using?  We haven't figured out how to read minds yet, so we can't help until we have that info. :)

/S. Smith