/dev/ under Cygwin? (was: Re: [MPlayer-cygwin] Re: DVD playback under Cygwin)

Diego Biurrun diego at biurrun.de
Wed Aug 20 16:48:32 CEST 2003

Sylvain Petreolle schrieb:

> Running WinXP and the latest Cygwin available, mplayer CVS with your
> patch :
> DVD opening is successfull ! This works with the '\\.\x:' syntax and
> with /dev/scd?

/dev/scd? ??? What exactly do you use?  This puzzles me:

$ ./mplayer.exe dvd://1 -dvd-device /dev/nonexistent
[...]
Playing dvd://1
libdvdread: Can't stat /dev/nonexistent
No such file or directory
Couldn't open DVD device: /dev/nonexistent

$ ./mplayer.exe dvd://1 -dvd-device /dev/scd0
[...]
Playing dvd://1
Reading disc structure, please wait...
libdvdread: Can't seek to block 256
libdvdread: Can't open file VIDEO_TS.IFO.
Can't open VMG info!

So what's the deal with Cygwin and /dev/?  I cannot ls /dev/ but the
above output suggests that something may be present...

Diego