[MPlayer-cygwin]

Stefan Gürtler Stefan.guertler at stud.tum.de
Fri Aug 15 18:23:50 CEST 2003

Dear S.Smith
Looks like somebody gets easily pissed, here.
Please keep in mind, though, that I never told you to do it like I
suggested.
In fact I pointed out that my way worked on Win98 and I stated that it might
be different on other versions of Windows. Still I thought it might be of a
interest for you, as it - maybe - allows one to get it working (or
installing) without having to copy a dll to the windows system folders,
which people without root-privilege can not do, as far as I know, on your
WinNT. This may not concern you on your own system, but it might be
interesting for other people reading this mailarchive while e.g. looking for
help to solve their problems. Furthermore it allows you, - at least in the
case of real-codecs - to have mplayer and all the dlls it needs together in
its own directory, so that you can move around the program (e.g. from one of
your computers to the next, or from one installation of the OS to the next)
by just copying the folder. No need to distribute other files into various
folders of your computer. That makes it even possible to run it from a
CD-Rom without having to copy/install any file onto your computer after all,
which i think is quite smart.
I am sorry for misspelling / mixing up "c" and "s" on  your first name - at
least I assumed that this is your first name, considering your email address
(From: "Sycotic Smith" <sycotic at linuxmail.org>) and the way you signed your
mail (S. Smith).
Furthermore I am sorry that I forgot to mention/list your Windows NT
together with its successors Win2k and WinXP when telling you to try out to
get it working.

Yours Stefan Gürtler