[MPlayer-cygwin] Joey's Cygwin package

Sycotic Smith sycotic at linuxmail.org
Thu Aug 14 16:32:31 CEST 2003

From: Diego Biurrun <diego at biurrun.de>
> Hi!
>
> Joey, I'd write this to you in private, but I thought this might
> interest a few more people here...
>
> I tried out your MPlayer package yesterday and I have to say it's very
> nice.  I even installed it on a friend's computer and he has been quite
> content with it.
>
> I have two suggestions, though.
>
> 1) Could you add an option like "open fullscreen" to the context menu?
> I think this would be a nice goodie.

I might have a bugreport for this (cvs), I have not been able to use
[-fs|-vm|-zoom] without a sig11 as yet.  Switching works fine, tho.

> 2) Could you compile the package with --with-codecsdir=codecs and add a
> codecs subdirectory to dir where MPlayer gets installed?  This way I
> could easily drop codecs into that directory (or you might even provide
> them with your package) and MPlayer could also play QT and Real files.
> These file types should be added to the file type dialog on installation
> then.
> Diego
In my case, this really only works for the non-QT/Real codecs.  These still
need to be in the $WINDOWS\SYSTEM[32] folder for them to work.  And to top
it all off, in my cygwin anyway, they need to be owned by Administrator group
and be world WRITABLE to function.  All of the others worked fine in the
$CODECSDIR fine, no matter the permissions.  Now, this could be only an NT4
issue, I still don't have any other win32 systems to try it on.  And, I am
only speaking of cvs-mplayer, not Joey's win32-package, but it shouldn't matter.

Diego, is this something that should be added to the howto, as troubleshooting
maybe, in cases where the user 'has the codecs in the right place, but still
doesn't work?'

My $0.02USD (post-inflation).
/S. Smith