[MPlayer-cygwin] Re: builds but thinks avi file has errors

Diego Biurrun diego at biurrun.de
Wed Dec 18 00:20:18 CET 2002

Roger Levy writes:
 > I think you've consistently missed a point that I've made several times -
 > mplayer is reporting stream errors in its command window output.  Therefore the
 > problem is before the display stage.  I have used -vo directx:noaccel and there
 > has been no difference.  I have built under Windows 98 which you said is
 > Sascha's development platform and there has been no difference.  Also, as much
 > as I would like to see Sascha have Windows 2000, if the identical problem exists
 > in Windows 98, then it is not a Windows 2000 specific problem and a contribution
 > would not help.  Note that the same stream plays perfectly on mplayer that I
 > built under Linux.  See earlier mail in this thread for the stream errors that
 > mplayer reports.

I got that point alright, but did probably not pay it enough
attention.  I was just under the impression that you had not read the
documentation closely enough, which I as one of the main authors
always find a real pity.

 > BTW, I am forbidden from buying Windows 2000 because Lucent has a site license
 > for it so any individual purchases are blocked.  That puts me in the same
 > position as you or Sascha - we could buy it out of our own pocket.
 > Unfortunately, college bills of more than $36,000/year keep me at the verge of
 > starvation so I can't do it.

You've made a point about your boss breathing down your neck to
deliver results.  If he is so interested in moving this matter forward
there would sure have been a way of sponsoring that license.  But I
suspect that you have been asked to deliver a result and not deliver
that result with MPlayer.  Thus it's you that wants to use MPlayer and
not your boss.  I misread the the latter out of your words.  Anyway,
let us leave the topic and return to the problem at hand, helping you.

 > Finally, I don't understand the point about a PCI video card.  Are you saying
 > Sascha doesn't have one or I should get one?  I have used systems with both PCI
 > and AGP video and I still get the same bad results.

I was saying that Sascha is looking for one, but never mind.

Regards

Diego