[MPlayer-cygwin] compiling mplayer probs ...

Joey Parrish joey at yunamusic.com
Fri Aug 30 17:50:41 CEST 2002

On Thu, Aug 29, 2002 at 12:13:17PM +0200, Gert.Vandelaer at medisearch-int.com wrote:
> Hy all,

> I'm trying to get mplayer to run cygwin,
> compiled sdl, ggi, aa, libdivxdecore and installed all fine ..

Once you get MPlayer running, if -vo ggi works for you,
please write back and describe how you configured ggi and
how you configured MPlayer.  It's one of the things I can't
seem to make work.  But, maybe I'm dumb at strange times.  :)

> next mplayer,
> configure didn't detect libdivx for starters, maybe I need to tweak the
> config.mak for this build ?

libdivx?

> Anyway, I start compiling ...
> I get a whole bunch of warnings, config.h:win32 redefined blah blah ... but
> compile continues ...

This is normal for cygwin MPlayer.

> and after a while I get an internal gcc compile error, signal 11 (hmm, no
> bad memory here)
> win32.c:1558: warning: #warning FIXME
> win32.c:2573: warning: #warning FIXME!
> cpp0: output pipe has been closed
> gcc: Internal compiler error: program cc1 got fatal signal 11
> make[1]: *** [win32.o] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/gvandelaer/MPlayer-0.90pre5/loader'
> make: *** [loader/libloader.a] Error 2

Eek, yes, cygwin's gcc has some issues.  It does crash on occasion.
Try this:
./configure --enable-debug && make

Let me know how this affects it, it may lead me to a
decent answer about why gcc dies like this on win32.

> I got the latest cygwin release ...

Also, see if there are any upgraded gcc packages.
(I think I have a copy of gcc-2.95-8 ?  I'll have
to dig out my cygwin box next week and find out.
Sorry I can't test any of this out sooner.)
You might also try gcc3 packages instead.

> I've read the mplayer docs for cygwin ... not much on cygwin to be found.

Expecting DOCS for cygwin... :)
My hope is that when cygwin MPlayer becomes as stable
as Linux MPlayer, there won't need to be cygwin-specific
DOCS at all.  Wouldn't that be nice?

> Cya,
> Gert

Keep me posted.