[MPlayer-advusers] segfault on jpeg image

Andrew Savchenko Bircoph at list.ru
Fri Jan 19 05:32:50 CET 2007

Hi,

On 17 Jan 2007 22:38 Andrew Savchenko wrote:
> On 17 Jan 2007 21:58 Attila Kinali wrote:
> > Moin,
> >
> > A friend just told me that he could segfault MPlayer
> > by using http://dod.vgmix.com/past/dec06/chrono.jpg
> > as input:
>
> On further investigation it seems that mplayer crashes while
> trying to display any jpeg or png image.

I've spend all night with gdb, but... I can't understood how that
code _must_ work, despite I really tryed to do this; though, it is
highly undocumented...

The only thing I can say, the reason of fault is unitialized
h->priv_data structure in mp_seek(...), demux_lavf.c:122.
Lower in the code there is an attempt to dereference this NULL
pointer (stream->end_pos, line 129) which obviously results in
segfault. I have no idea how and where this structure should be
initialized.

I made regression test and failed to find revision where this
feature works properly. In older revisions mplayer doesn't crashes
but also doesn't display jpeg/png image, because "end of file is
reached" (gdb shows that file format is simply not recognized in
this case).

By the way, was there happy times when single jpeg/png pictures
were successfully displayed by mplayer?