[MPlayer-advusers] gcc, mplayer and profile (mcount)

Guillaume POIRIER poirierg at gmail.com
Wed Jan 3 15:30:52 CET 2007

Hi,

On 1/3/07, Adam Sulmicki <adam at cfar.umd.edu> wrote:

> Hello folks,
>
>         This is my last post on the subject of mcount.
>
>         I have spent a quite bit of time on this to find out
>         that the results of myserious crashes is the mcount variable.
>         (with help from Ian Lance Taylor).
>
>         I have reported the issue to both gcc and mplayer lists, and
>         from _BOTH_ lists I got reply that they do not feel it is their
>         problem and blamed the other package.

This is interesting. Do you have a link to their reply? I'd like to
see what they had to say, and if they have an explanation for this.

[..]

> Suggested solutions:
>
>         * Rename mcount in mplayer/libmenu/menu.c to something else.

this is simple enough that it should probably done, yeah. (though I
dislike working around compiler bugs).

>         * document mcount in gcc man page
>
>         * gcc prints warning.
>
>         * do nothing.
>
> I can immagine that gcc developers might have intentionally left mcount()
> visible to user space so that user can replace gcc's mcount() with their
> own implementation.

Well, as far as I understand how names clashes are supposed to be
avoided, the compiler should define and use symbols that start with
"_", everything else is supposed to be free of previous
implementation....
... but maybe it's just me...

Anyway, thanks for reporting and finding a solution to this problem,
and I'm sorry if you've been flamed. This shouldn't happen.
I'll see what I can do about mcount.

Guillaume
--
An association of men who will not quarrel with one another is a thing
which has never yet existed, from the greatest confederacy of nations