[MEncoder-users] x264 Support for setting the SAR

Carl Eric Codere cecodere at yahoo.ca
Sun Jan 24 00:52:15 CET 2016

Greetings,
                  I am having some issues trying to backup a DVD using
mencoder and using the x264 options. Here is the command used:

mencoder -noaspect  \
  -noautoexpand \
  -force-avi-aspect 4:3 \
  -quiet dvd://1  \
  -o output1.avi \
  -dvd-device U:/MyDVD \
  -vobsub 999 \
  -vf pullup,softskip,pp=lb,crop=704:480:14:0,scale=presize=sntsc,harddup \
  -oac lavc \
  -lavcopts acodec=libfdk_aac:abitrate=128 \
  -channels 2  \
  -ovc x264 \
  -x264encopts
preset=ultrafast:profile=baseline:global_header:fast_pskip=0:bitrate=1650:threads=auto

The final required is an MP4 file... Therefore, knowing that mencoder is
buggy (is it?) creating mp4 file, I then do as follows:
  ffmpeg -i  output1.avi -bsf:a aac_adtstoasc -vcodec copy -acodec copy
output1.mp4

But the SAR is then wrong. so I need to do this to get the final correct
file:
mp4box -par 1=1:1 output1.mp4

As you might imagine I wish to encode using PAR=1/1 and DAR=4:3 in the
H.264 bitstream without calling mp4box , but there seem to be no way to
specify that the x264 bitstream contains SAR=1/1 in mencoder, am I
right? I looked at the code and could not find anything... while it
seems that the x264 command line tool permits to set sar=1, am I doing
something wrong here?

p.s: UIltrafast setting is just for example's sake!

Am I doing something wrong?
Thanks in advance!
Carl