[MEncoder-users] Repacking Without Transcoding

Gordan Bobic gordan at bobich.net
Mon Nov 3 22:16:16 CET 2014

Hi,

I'm trying to convert my video collection so it is suitable for use with
all of my devices via Plex without realtime transcoding, which limits
the format I can use to MP4 containers with H264 video and AAC audio.

Unfortunately, the DVDs I've been extracting over time (as the shelf
space around the TV has been running out) are mostly in MKV containers
with H264 video, which my Chromecasts won't play natively.

What I would ideally like to do is extract the H264 video data and
repack it into an MP4 container without transcoding (I don't want to
lose any video quality and transcoding is CPU expensive while just
re-containering should be much cheaper).

Is there a way to do that?

Also, in many cases, although the video streams I have been encoding are
H264, I have mostly been using MP3 audio rather than AAC, so I will need
to transcode the audio. What is the best way of doing that while
minimizing the risk of upsetting A/V synchronisation?

Many thanks in advance.

Gordan