[MEncoder-users] mencoder bug: Trancoding stops without reason and gives no error message

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Fri May 30 12:17:02 CEST 2014

Peer Janssen <peer <at> pjk.de> writes:

> Am 28.05.2014 22:28, schrieb Carl Eugen Hoyos:
> >
> >> time mencoder -nosound -ovc lavc -lavcopts
> >> vcodec=mpeg4:aspect=16/9:vbitrate=8000000
> >> -vf scale=1920:1080 -o timelapse.avi
> >> -mf type=jpeg:fps=24 mf:// <at> stills.txt
> > FFmpeg now supports a similar input format, see
> > https://ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg-formats.html#concat-1
>
> Well, I gave it a try. Many sites suggest something
> like this:
>
> ffmpeg -r 6 -i "%04d.jpg" -an -vcodec copy out.avi

But that is not what the link I gave above suggests;-((

(And it is also another option than the one you used
for MEncoder, I wanted to show you an equivalent
option.)

> Just a note of warning: do not think you can bypass
> ffmpeg's printf syntax and just use *.jpg or
> something for more complex patterns. It will
> actually overwrite each and every one of your image
> files with the first one! I tried it myself.
> – Christian

This has been fixed in FFmpeg last year.

> $ ffmpeg -pattern_type glob
> ffmpeg version 0.8.10-6:0.8.10-0ubuntu0.13.10.1

This is not FFmpeg but an intentionally broken version
with several hundred bugs not present in FFmpeg, some
of them security relevant. Please understand that we
cannot support it - neither here nor on ffmpeg.org
See http://blog.pkh.me/p/13-the-ffmpeg-libav-situation.html
for more information.
(One of the mentioned bugs is that what you have would
overwrite your image files.)

> But I'll try the other solution first (upgrading ubuntu)

This cannot help;-(

All this has of course nothing to do with the communities
of MPlayer and FFmpeg, but of other people.
(They are thieves and liars imo, but I understand that
this has little relevance for you.)

Concerning using MEncoder, please understand that while
Reimar (and to some degree I) will continue to fix
issues in MEncoder but unless you have particular needs
(like softtelecine for dvd output or a binary decoder
for an unusual game format) you are much better off
with FFmpeg. If you don't want to compile (which works
out-of-the-box and by default produces binaries that
you don't have to install but work from the build
directory) you will find static binaries on the
FFmpeg homepage.

Carl Eugen