[MEncoder-users] mencoder bug: Trancoding stops without reason and gives no error message

Peer Janssen peer at pjk.de
Thu May 29 11:12:42 CEST 2014

Am 27.05.2014 23:13, schrieb Daniel Bischof:

>> The following command:
>>
>> time mencoder -nosound -ovc lavc -lavcopts
>> vcodec=mpeg4:aspect=16/9:vbitrate=8000000 -vf scale=1920:1080 -o
>> timelapse.avi -mf type=jpeg:fps=24 mf://@stills.txt
>>
>> produces this output:
>>
>> MEncoder svn r34540 (Ubuntu), built with gcc-4.7 (C) 2000-2012
>> MPlayer Team
>> [...]
>> Writing header...
>> ODML: vprp aspect is 16:9.
>> Pos:  43.2s   1037f (29%)  1.99fps Trem:  20min 137mb  A-V:0.000
>> [7886:0]
>>
>> Flushing video frames.
>> Writing index...
>> Writing header...
>> ODML: vprp aspect is 16:9.
>>
>> Video stream: 7886.694 kbit/s  (985836 B/s)  size: 42596364 bytes
>> 43.208 secs 1037 frames
>>
>> real    8m40.314s
>> user    7m3.192s
>> sys     0m11.080s
>>
>> The problem is that it's only 29% through (1037 out of many more, as
>> mencoder knows very well since it tells "29%"), but it doesn't tell
>> at all WHY it stopped, so this cannot easily be debugged. (Memory is
>> not a problem, as there is plenty of it.)
>
> I tried this with MEncoder r37203 and ~800 images. Got a complete
> seasick-movie, so I suggest to update. Compiling MPlayer/MEncoder is
> fairly easy.

Ok, as I'll upgrade my ubuntu to newer version soon, I might re-try this
same operation then, and if it works => problem solved. (And in the
meantime, there are many more images...)

In fact, I tried the operation several times with different numbers of
input images, and the size of the output file ends up having exactly
42625866 bytes each time.

This error could also be caused by a single malformed image or so, but
it's bothering to not get a precise error message in order to locate the
"culprit" image (to exclude it from the time lapse series) or to know
what's going on (could be another reason), and even that anything
anormal happend at all -- I didn't notice that anything was wrong for a
while, having watched several videos, from different number of images,
in a row. Only then did I find out that something was missing, and then
I noticed the "suspiciously the same" file sizes.

Peer

Peer Janssen - peer at pjk.de