[MEncoder-users] mencoder bug: Trancoding stops without reason and gives no error message

Grozdan neutrino8 at gmail.com
Thu May 29 10:49:28 CEST 2014

On Thu, May 29, 2014 at 3:57 AM, Peter <pscientist at inbox.com> wrote:
> On 2014-05-28 4:39 PM, Grozdan wrote:
>
>> I'm really getting sick and tired with you always trying to push
>> people to ffmpeg. People have their reasons for preferring MEncoder.
>> Just go away
>

> Carl Eugen is a prolific helper here, and apart from the futile attempt to
> stem the tide of 'top posting', his answers are always appreciated, and
> apparently effective. And if he suggests FFmpeg, I suspect it's for the best
> reasons. I sincerely hope he doesn't heed your terminal suggestion.
>
> --
> Peter

I haven't seen him help that much as you imply. I haven't seen him
submit patches to the list. I haven't seen him discuss the development
of MPlayer. The recurrent thing is that he always seems to try to lure
people into ffmpeg. So don't make a hero out of him

Anyways, I don't want to argue or flame but I think we all got his
message. It's better to just put a big warning on MPlayer's site about
MEncoder not being actively developed anymore but to imply MEncoder is
no longer maintained is not really true. Reimar said some months ago
that he'll maintain MEncoder with fixes if needed but he'll not
develop it (ie, MEncoder on life support)

Yours truly