[MEncoder-users] MEncoder: AC3 no channel layout specified

Grozdan neutrino8 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 23 22:13:25 CEST 2014

On Mon, Jun 23, 2014 at 10:08 PM, Reimar Döffinger
<Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de> wrote:
> On 22.06.2014, at 16:45, Grozdan <neutrino8 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Ping? Reimar, could you look into this, please? Thanks
>>
>> On Thu, Jun 19, 2014 at 12:37 PM, Grozdan <neutrino8 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm using the AC3 codec from lavc together with the -channels 6 option
>>> to specify the amount of channels to decode (input file is DTS 5.1).
>>> I'm getting the below message but I'm not sure if this is a bug or
>>> not. Just thought to report it.
>>>
>>> [ac3 @ 0x7f0333fc47c0]Channel layout not specified
>>> [ac3 @ 0x7f0333fc47c0]No channel layout specified. The encoder will
>>> guess the layout, but it might be incorrect.
>>>
>>> Previously, some revisions ago (don't remember how far back), using
>>> -channels 6 did not result in the above message being displayed.
>
> MEncoder doesn't specify a channel layout, and it seems FFmpeg now warns about that.
> Since I can't properly test it I don't intend to touch anything unless you can reproduce an actual bug (wrong channel order in the encoded file) and can test any fix.

Ok, thanks. As I wrote I don't know if this is a bug and I don't know
how mencoder passes or doesn't pass channel info.
It could have been always like that but since ffmpeg never warned
before, i've never seen that msg before so I decided to make people
aware just in case :)

Yours truly