[MEncoder-users] Scaling quality

Scott W. Larson scowl at wballphotos.com
Thu Oct 31 17:03:49 CET 2013

On Thu, 31 Oct 2013 12:14:18 +0100, Grozdan <neutrino8 at gmail.com> wrote:

> we're almost 2014 and ffmpeg still can't read directly from discs. For
> God's sake, DVD is being phased out very slowly in favor of Blu-ray, but
> ffmpeg still can't handle DVDs, let alone Blu-rays

Additionally, the EDL code in mencoder is very simple and has been in
mencoder for years. Since the request to put it into ffmpeg has been
ignored so far, either something in their code makes it difficult
(they've had trouble getting -ss to do accurate seeks) or there is no
interest from the developers to implement this kind of feature at this
point.

The Changlogs show they've been busy porting mplayer codecs and adding
other low level support. That's great but it doesn't sound like they're
ready to add higher level features like EDL or reading from DVDs.