[MEncoder-users] Scaling quality

Grozdan neutrino8 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 31 12:14:18 CET 2013

On Thu, Oct 31, 2013 at 10:57 AM, Carl Eugen Hoyos <cehoyos at ag.or.at> wrote:

> Grozdan <neutrino8 <at> gmail.com> writes:

> > > Which filter are you missing?
> >
> >  Things MEncoder can do that ffmpeg can, are among others
> >
> > - Encode directly from a VCD, DVD or Blu-ray disc
> > - MPEG muxer has support for soft-telecine including frame rate flagging
> > - EDL stuff
>
> Which of those are filter-related or, more specifically,
> which of those are related to a filter that exists in
> MEncoder but is missing in FFmpeg?
>
> Note that there are of course more features missing in
> FFmpeg than the one you point out above, I just wanted
> to make sure the OP knows that MEncoder is unmaintained.
> (I actually assumed so but apparently he wasn't.)
>
> Please do not top-post here, Carl Eugen

I assume you're asking about the mpeg muxer of mencoder? If so, it's not a
filter that's missing. It's a feature of the muxer itself. I already
requested for this feature to be added to the ffmpeg mpeg muxer, but no one
cares about it

If you're asking about a real filter, then I don't miss any filters in
ffmpeg. In fact, it has more filters than mencoder/mplayer

we're almost 2014 and ffmpeg still can't read directly from discs. For
God's sake, DVD is being phased out very slowly in favor of Blu-ray, but
ffmpeg still can't handle DVDs, let alone Blu-rays