[MEncoder-users] Weird DVD with shifting framerates

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Fri Jun 14 00:49:21 CEST 2013

R.L. Horn <lists <at> eastcheap.org> writes:

> >> ...does ffmpeg have a telecine-aware deinterlacer?
> >
> > I am not sure if I understand the question:
>
> A lot of NTSC DVD streams go back and forth between
> soft telecine and "60" field/sec interlaced.
> Sometimes, the best way to deal with it (e.g. for
> short interlaced bursts from sloppy editing) is to
> constrain the whole thing to 24000/1001 fps,
> discarding frames when necessary, and smoothing
> over the interlaced frames, while leaving
> progressive frames untouched.

Again, I may misunderstand, but I believe you describe
a process called inverse telecine that has nothing
(at least not much) to do with deinterlacing. Both
processes are supported in FFmpeg, FFmpeg's inverse
telecine filter is said to be superior (but slower)
than MPlayer's pullup filter.
In case I misunderstood (and you meant something
like "I suggest to deinterlace the interlaced frames
in a telecined stream and leave the progressive
frames alone"): Afaik, the best way to deal with
a badly cut (partly) telecined stream that contains
progressive parts and telecined parts and is badly
cut so that some frames cannot be completely
reconstructed is to try to inverse telecine the whole
stream and use a deinterlacer for the (few) remaining
frames for which inverse telecine is impossible. This
is what FFmpeg currently supports.

Carl Eugen