[MEncoder-users] Weird DVD with shifting framerates

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Wed Jun 12 18:42:08 CEST 2013

R.L. Horn <lists <at> eastcheap.org> writes:

> I'm coming in a bit late here, so this may have
> already been addressed, but does ffmpeg have a
> telecine-aware deinterlacer?

I am not sure if I understand the question:
FFmpeg now contains an inverse telecine filter (that
is not a deinterlacer) which is said to be (slower but)
clearly superior over all MPlayer filters.
The inverse telecine filter is able to call a
deinterlacer for frames that could not be inverse-
telecined, see an earlier mail in this thread for
an example.

An inverse telecine filter is of course not a
deinterlacer, but if your question was - as I
assume - "can FFmpeg cope with telecined material
even if it also needs a deinterlacer" than the answer
is yes.

Or did I misunderstand? I suspect that by definition,
a deinterlacer can not be telecine-aware.

Carl Eugen