[MEncoder-users] Transcode from .MTS to wmv with MEncoder fails

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Fri Feb 15 15:37:57 CET 2013

Jan Ehrhardt <phpdev <at> ehrhardt.nl> writes:

> I once again tried MEncoder to transcode a .MTS file from a Canon
> camcorder to WMV-format. As a starter: I prefer MEncoder over FFmpeg
> because of the volnorm filter.

Could you open a ticket on trac?
Or give an example for the use-case (I never used the filter,
I don't know what it does).

> Simple question: MEncoder uses FFmpeg for the trancoding. Why does it
> fail when exactly the same FFmpeg as separate program transcodes it
> fine?

Because MEncoder is not a maintained application for
a long time / because you misunderstand how it works:
MEncoder does not use FFmpeg, it uses libavcodec and
libavformat, and it uses them differently.

Carl Eugen