[MEncoder-users] Closed Captioning

Peter pscientist at inbox.com
Thu Dec 26 18:37:07 CET 2013

On 2013-12-26 10:26 AM, larrystotler at netscape.net wrote:
> I've searched all over but can't seem to find out exactly how to encode so that closed captions are available.
>
> I used the -subcc option when I encoded a movie to add the captioning, but it hard coded it&  now can't be turned off.
>
> Does anyone know how, or could point me to a guide, on making sure that closed captioning is available but not hardcoded?

I don't think MEncoder is the tool for you. A quote from jira.com:
"Mencoder cannot create soft subtitles but instead it burns them directly to the
video stream. Since this is not what we want this program is useless." - Nejc Skofic
<https://opencast.jira.com/browse/MH-3828>
I believe this comment to be true. Adding closed-captioning is really a
multiplexing task, not an encoding task, so perhaps you should look at a tool
such as MP4box.

--
Peter