[MEncoder-users] Help with mencoder

Gabri Shally gabri.ns at gmail.com
Sat Apr 27 07:55:03 CEST 2013

On Apr 27, 2013 12:38 PM, "JD" <jd1008 at gmail.com> wrote:

> You are exposing the fact that I am not a media savvy person.

well, so do i... it just that i frequently use mencoder to reduce the size
of my video collection, so i try to learn option to maximize quality.

> I used ffplay to play it so that I could see what the bitrate is.
> It turns out it is not 8000Kbits/s, it shows 32Mbits/s :
>
> I played whatever mencoder has written so far (not much though)
> and ffplay shows:
> .
> .
> Duration: 00:00:01.85, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 32034 kb/s
>
> Why? That's such an overkill, and I certainly did not request it in the
arguments?

it maybe because the video is too sort, so the encoder cannot decide the
bitrate properly. altough you're setting bitrate, actually the bitrate
still vary. if you are really forcing a constant bitrate, at the expense of
quality, add vbv_maxrate

-x264encopts bitrate=8000,vbv_maxrate=8000