[MEncoder-users] Convert webm to any other format

Paul Brauner polux2001 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 00:24:45 CEST 2012

Hello,

I've used cheese (http://projects.gnome.org/cheese/) to record a small
video with my webcam. I shouldn't have in retrospect but that's too
late, I can shoot it again :) So it outputs webm files by default.
When I try to use this video in kdenlive I get very weird behaviours
(like, the video jumps to random frames). So naturally I've tried to
convert it to another format. That's where trouble begins.

  - When I read the video with mplayer it displays
http://pastebin.com/cuZRpkHn (notice the 1000fps). The video plays
just fine, at the right framerate. When I press "o" I see that it
lasts 2:50 min.

  - If I execute "mencoder -oac copy -ovc copy  myvideo.webm -o
myvideo.2.web" I get a lot of "duplicate frames" messages
(http://pastebin.com/dA7TR2rZ. The resulting video plays fine although
now "o" says it lasts 2:49 min. kdenlive is still not happy with it.
Mplayer still displays 1000fps.

  - Same exact thing if I execute the same command with "-idx".

  - If I execute the command with "-fps 12", I get a duration of
2:52min and the video features mostly artifacts (it looks like a
mosaic).

  - If I execute the command with "-fps 13", I get a duration of
2:39min and the video features mostly artifacts (it looks like a
mosaic).

  - If I execute "mencoder -oac copy -ovc lavc  myvideo.webm -o
myvideo.avi", I get a lot of "duplicate frames". The resulting video
lasts 2:49min and it is still supopsedly at 1000fps (although it plays
fine). kdenlive is still not happy with it.

  - If I use "raw" as the output format, the video is rendered twice:
it plays once and then another time (so it's twice as long). It is
still advertised as playing at 1000fps and it crashed kdenlive.

At this point I'm a bit desperate: mplayer plays it just fine but I
can't convert it into a file that plays the same way (and even less to
a file that kdenlive likes). Is there a way to say "dump what mplayer
displays in a raw file"? (I don't care for sound). If not, do you have
an idea what to look for?

Cheers,
Paul