[MEncoder-users] Pullup problem for stubborn recording

L. Lee llee040 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jul 10 18:11:19 CEST 2012

Yeah, that was a clip from Delta Farce, if I remember correctly, but I can
do those with my eyes shut, now. This was something different, and as Carl
Eugen pointed out, it probably wasn't really telecined. It was more like
somebody already converted the telecined video without performing any
pullup, so what remained were progressive snapshots of half the interlaced
frames which were being doubled and played back at 59.94 fps. What's
interesting to me is that the source of the excerpt was apparently the same
as that of a subsequent airing of the program which wasn't affected by the
abnormality. That's how I eventually solved the problem.

Anyway, I guess I need to learn to do these things with ffmpeg. I was
looking at some notes for conversion of ripped DVD titles which apparently
did include pullup when converting to mp4. In the process described in my
notes the pictures from the mpeg2 files with ac3 audio were converted to
h.264, and the audio was extracted, then the two were re-muxed using a
versatile little tool called MP4box.

I know that with ffmpeg you specify the input file with an option in the
command line, while for Mencoder you use an option to specify the output
file. Other than that, I have a lot to learn.

Yours 'til I don't,

Laine Lee