[MEncoder-users] Encoding animation without shuttering

Tomasz Jamroszczak jamrok at gazeta.pl
Mon Feb 20 22:13:00 CET 2012

	Hello.
	I'm new on this list, and new to video encoding.  However I'm responsible for a presentation of some animations, and every now and then I need to encode something.  Recently I've received 6 minutes animation weighting 5GB, in 900x600 resolution, but the animation is quite static.  What's funny, it does look good when played with Media Player Classic.  Mplayer can play only two seconds, then stops.  I need to make the file smaller.  I managed to encode it to 76MB, but the problem is, I'm experiencing jittering during scene switch (fade-in, fade-out) and scrolling of whole view.  Size is not that important (well, it can't be 1GB/s), but I really need smooth video.  I'd rather like not to have compression artifacts.

	My encoding options are following:

mencoder in.mov -o out.avi -ovc x264 -x264encopts subq=9:crf=21:keyint=250:partitions=all:8x8dct:me=umh:frameref=5:bframes=5:weight_b:deblock=1,1:cabac:qp_min=18:qp_max=51:ip_factor=1.4:pb_factor=1.4:qcomp=0.6:direct_pred=auto:me_range=16:chroma_me:mixed_refs:trellis=2:deadzone_inter=21:deadzone_intra=11:nofast_pskip:dct_decimate:nr=0:nointerlaced:psnr:ref=10 -oac pcm

	I have to admit, I don't understand most of the options.  What can I do, to encode non-choppy video?

tj.