[MEncoder-users] How to enable support for libfaac in mencoder Windows binary?

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Sun Dec 30 14:51:44 CET 2012

Ramit Bhalla <ramitbhalla <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Recently I downloaded the mplayerhq.hu build for Windows
> and i'm getting an error saying that this version has
> been built without faac support.

You cannot legally distribute MEncoder binaries with
libfaac support: MEncoder is GPL and you cannot fulfill
the requirements of the GPL for libfaac which is
proprietary, non-free software.

Just in case you do not know: MEncoder is not an
actively maintained software for several years,
the recommended application for many tasks that
you can do with MEncoder is FFmpeg, see
http://ffmpeg.org

Carl Eugen