[MEncoder-users] MEncoder skips duplicate frames even with -vf harddup and -noskip

L. Lee llee040 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Dec 6 16:42:14 CET 2012

On 12/4/12 3:24 AM, "Carl Eugen Hoyos" <cehoyos at ag.or.at> wrote:

>The Wanderer <wanderer <at> fastmail.fm> writes:
>
>> The one thing that used to keep me using MEncoder was
>> dvdnav:// support, but ISTR that that or some equivalent
>> is available in FFmpeg now too.
>
>Unfortunately not, an old unfinished patch exists.
>But I wonder if you shouldn't be using mplayer -dumpstream
>for everything dvd-related. The resulting file can then
>be processed by FFmpeg (or used directly).
>
>Other things missing in FFmpeg include an inverse
>telecine filter.
>
>Carl Eugen

That inverse telecine thing is the main reason I'm still married to
MEncoder. However, sometimes telecined content I capture is so flawed that
MEncoder's detelecining is not as acceptable as ffmpeg's deinterlacing.

But regarding the original post, I rarely give up on skips and duplicates
until I've tried each of these:
1. "-mc 0"
2. "-mc 0.1"
3. Leave out "-mc"