[MEncoder-users] improving performance - general questions

The Wanderer wanderer at fastmail.fm
Sun Aug 19 04:44:45 CEST 2012

On 08/18/2012 04:16 PM, Rossana Guerra wrote:

> 2012/8/18 Reimar Döffinger <Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de>
>
>> On Sat, Aug 18, 2012 at 04:56:45PM -0300, Rossana Guerra wrote:

>>> So the only output is the command mencoder console output.
>>>
>>> I noticed add subtitles takes time, any tip.
>>>
>>> This is the command:
>>>
>>> mencoder /carpeta_X/pelicula.avi -sub /carpeta_X/pelicula.srt -oac copy
>>> -ovc lavc -o /tmp/pelicula_final.avi -subcp latin1 -font
>>> /usr/share/fonts/msttcore/arial.ttf -subfont-text-scale 2.8
>>
>> Is the problem that this is slow whether you encode subtitles or not, or
>> that specifically removing the -sub option (and only that, possibly
>> replacing it with -nosub) makes it much faster.
>> Anyway try with -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:mbd=0:turbo=yes:vqscale=2
>
> Sorry, I didn'y understand very well, maybe is my english and because I am
> totally new with mencoder.
>
> I need to add subtitles, sio why to use nosub?

To find out whether it's specifically the subtitles that are making it slow, or
whether the encoding itself is the slow part.

If the subtitles themselves are slowing down the encoding process more than
minimally, then that might be a problem (even a bug) in need of fixing. If the
encoding itself is slow, that may well just be the nature of the transcoding
process.

> As I posted before, this is the command I am using:
>
> mencoder /carpeta_X/pelicula.avi -sub /carpeta_X/pelicula.srt -oac copy -ovc
> lavc -o /tmp/pelicula_final.avi -subcp latin1 -font
> /usr/share/fonts/msttcore/arial.ttf -subfont-text-scale 2.8

And he was suggesting that you add the '-lavcopts' option, with a particular set
of suboptions, to possibly help speed up the encoding process.

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.

Every time you let somebody set a limit they start moving it.
   - LiveJournal user antonia_tiger