[MEncoder-users] MEncoder outputs "could not find matching colorspace"

Bill Crockett wsc4 at optusnet.com.au
Sun Sep 25 04:27:41 CEST 2011

On 25/09/2011 1:18 AM, Cristian Manea wrote:
> I'm using XV video output, but that colorspace error occurs even if I don't
> use yadif, or any other filters, and even if I use -vf scale and -vf
> format=i420. Even more strange is that, if I do a search on google with
> "could not find matching colorspace" and other keywords from that error
> message, it returns only one matching result where a person is asking about
> this on mencoder mailing list, and it receives the following response:
>> * What does it means "Could not find matching colorspace - retrying with*
>> * -vf scale..."? *
> It means the device you are outputting to (the lavc encoder in this
> case) requires a video format different than what your source material
> is supplying.
>> I had exactly the same problem, but with MPlayer.  If I played an
>> interlaced video with the "yadif" deinterlacing filter, or any deinterlacer,
>> I would get the same display error.
>>
>> What video output driver are you using?  I am using OpenGL.  If I changed
>> to Directx, it did not do it.  If I appended the scale filter while using
>> OpenGL, it also fixed it.  I found out that my video card is too old, and
>> the only way to use it was to append the scale filter or go back to Directx.

Let's just try MPlayer first.  What's your operating system ?
Paste your list of video output drivers.    Run mplayer -vo help

If you play a video with MPlayer using:   mplayer -vo gl input.mpg
(any video)

Do you get this displayed approximately?:

Playing stream3.mpg.
MPEG-PS file format detected.
VIDEO:  MPEG2  720x576  (aspect 2)  25.000 fps  8000.0 kbps (1000.0 kbyte/s)
[gl] using extended formats. Use -vo gl:nomanyfmts if playback fails.
Opening video decoder: [ffmpeg] FFmpeg's libavcodec codec family
Selected video codec: [ffmpeg2] vfm: ffmpeg (FFmpeg MPEG-2)
Audio: no sound
Starting playback...
Could not find matching colorspace - retrying with -vf scale...
Opening video filter: [scale]
Movie-Aspect is 1.33:1 - prescaling to correct movie aspect.
[swscaler @ 013553d4]using unscaled yuv420p -> bgra special converter
VO: [gl] 720x576 => 768x576 BGRA