[MEncoder-users] Audio Sync issues

Rolf Ernst rernst99 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 17 07:52:38 CEST 2011

-----Original Message-----
From: mencoder-users-bounces at mplayerhq.hu
[mailto:mencoder-users-bounces at mplayerhq.hu] On Behalf Of Jeff Cranmer
Sent: Friday, September 16, 2011 9:33 PM
To: MEncoder usage discussions
Subject: Re: [MEncoder-users] Audio Sync issues

<jeff at lotussevencars.com>wrote:

> > -mc 0 didn't seem to help.
> > Perhaps I'm misunderstanding this, but wouldn't we want to set the
> > number to something else other than 0, to allow the program to A-V
> > sync sucessfully?

> > Jeff,
>
> what he says is correct - normally you want to set it to 0 which means
> 'don't deviate at all from the a/v sync'. That being said - I have
> never used it with the PVR encodes, not sure whether it would be of
> benefit or detriment - I just don't have any sync issues. I will give
> it a try using -oac pcm and see whether this might play into it.
>
> Part of the problem could be that I don't think pcm has timecodes
> built into it, just x number of samples/sec whereas if you copy the
> AC3 stream that has timecodes. This becomes important as there are
> occasional 'glitches' in the recordings that the PVR makes. It's
> really of no big importance as the playback can always recover because
> of the timecodes for both the audio and video stream. (Look months
> back in this list and you will see how I brought it up before). Since
> the pcm does not carry timecode information the occasional glitch
> might throw it off, just a hypothesis. Just for grins I would suggest
> to do an -oac copy and see whether this solves the problem. At least you
will know where to look then.

So far, I've had no luck with -oac copy, as I get an error when I try it.
The audio stream appears to be AAC rather than AC3.  Does this change
anything?

Ah, there's something to look into. I assume you are using TM2 to record?
One of the settings is whether you want to record 2 channel audio (which
your source seems to be) as AAC or AC3. Switch it to AC3 and see how that
works for you.

Yes, I never quite understood why you couldn't do copy with AAC. If you use
YAMF (ahem, a little thing I wrote) it'll let you copy AAC but you may not
want to delve into yet another tool....

/re