[MEncoder-users] So does "target size" in xvid actually do anything?

Etienne Buira etienne.buira.lists at free.fr
Fri Sep 16 19:58:01 CEST 2011

Hi.

On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 06:37:42PM +0100, Padraig Hogan wrote:
>  %2==2 "C:\mencoder\mencoder" %1.btw -oac copy -ovc xvid -xvidencopts
> bitrate=-1024000:threads=2 -vf scale=720:-2 -sub %filename:~0,-4%srt"
  ^^^^^^^
That's not target size, but bitrate (bits per second)

> -utf8 -subfont-text-scale 2.7 -o %1.avi
> del %1.btw
>
> But it still just completely ignores the 1024,000 kb and it comes out as 800mb.

If your movie is about 110 minutes long, then it is correct.

To target a particular file size, you have to calculate yourself the
bitrate (which is total number of seconds/total number of bits).

Look in your favourite search engine for "calculate bitrate".