[MEncoder-users] Building MPlayer-MEncoder on Mac OS X since gcc 4.2 no longer works

L. Lee llee040 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Oct 26 15:38:00 CEST 2011

On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 7:31 AM, L. Lee <llee040 at sbcglobal.net>
> wrote:
> I tried to compile latest SVN MPlayer/MEncoder in Lion for the first
> time in
> about a month, and the built-in Mac developer tools don't seem to
> handle it
> anymore. The error is "Your binutils version is too old and not
> supported".
>
> I built gcc 4.6 with Fink and tried again, but now I get a
> series of errors
> such as:
>
> {standard input}:173:no such instruction:
> `vcvtsi2sd (%rdx), %xmm1,%xmm1'
>
> Can you suggest a way to compile it?
> Thanks.

I think you should remove all the fink packages you installed
> that
brought that version of binutils. You don't need any external binutils
> compile MPlayer on Lion.

I have no problem to compile MPlayer here on Lion
> with:

./configure --cc=gcc-4.2 --disable-fontconfig

Best
> regards,

Guillaume

Thanks. But I got the "Your binutils version is too old and not supported"
error before I installed gcc 4.6, and only installed it because what I could
find on the net seemed to suggest it was needed to build ffmpeg and mplayer.
I removed it, but that didn't make any difference, I still get the error. I
haven't installed any other developer tools with Fink, and the only problem
Fink installations have caused me before occurred after installing a Fink
version of x264, but that was removed a long time ago.

Here are the errors reported when I try your configure command:

"mplayer $ ./configure --cc=gcc-4.2 --disable-fontconfig
remote: Counting objects: 7, done.
Unpacking objects: 100% (4/4), done.
>From git://git.videolan.org/ffmpeg
   51bfaa2..c881df3  master     -> origin/master
First, rewinding head to replay your work on top of it...
Fast-forwarded master to c881df330d46ccc573c7239f5b704fd2eb634574.
Checking for gcc version ... 4.2.1
Checking for working compiler ... yes
Detected operating system: Darwin
Detected host architecture: x86_64
Checking for cross compilation ... no
Checking for host cc ... gcc
Checking for CPU vendor ... GenuineIntel (6:42:7)
Checking for CPU type ...  Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2820QM CPU @ 2.30GHz
Checking for kernel support of mmx ... yes
Checking for kernel support of mmxext ... yes
Checking for kernel support of sse ... yes
Checking for kernel support of sse2 ... yes
Checking for kernel support of ssse3 ... yes
Checking for kernel support of cmov ... yes
Checking for mtrr support ... yes
Checking for GCC & CPU optimization abilities ... core2
Checking for byte order ... little-endian
Checking for extern symbol prefix ... _
Checking for assembler support of -pipe option ... yes
Checking for GCC support of -mstackrealign ... no
Checking for PIC ... yes

Error: Your binutils version is too old and not supported"

Thanks again.

Laine Lee