[MEncoder-users] -VF FIELD=0 and BFRAMES=3 problem

Bill Crockett wsc4 at optusnet.com.au
Thu Nov 3 09:34:26 CET 2011

I decided to experiment with the deinterlace method of extracting and
encoding only one of the two fields using -VF FIELD=0.Being PAL format,
I halved the vertical resolution from 720x576 to 720x288 using crop and
scale appropriately.The -ovc I use is x264 and with my options setting
this has BFRAMES=3.All this worked well produced a progressive, 25 fps
file and plays well in MPlayer.

However, when playing the video in other players, the video flickers and
jerks as though frames are missing.After much experimenting and trying
different encoding options, I stumbled upon BFRAMES being the
problem.reducing BFRAMES=0 fixed it.All players now can play it properly.

Using MPLayer, I looked hard but could not see any difference having
BFRAMES=3 or BFRAMES=0.Are they really necessary or is this an MEncoder
only problem?