[MEncoder-users] Puzzle - Frame skipping and audio

Joseph Eoff joseph.eoff at molear.de
Sat May 28 17:34:03 CEST 2011

Hi.

I've found that mencoder works really well for digitizing the tapes from
my analog video camera.  With the cropping and deinterlacing mencoder
does, the resulting clips look really good on the computer screen.

I recently bought a new digitizer - the old one was ten years old and
just gave up the ghost.  The new digitizer connects via USB and has a
built in sound card.  I would rather connect all of my video camera
cables to just the digitizer box instead of connectig the video the
digitizer and the audio to my sound card, so I changed my normal
configuration to use the new sound card instead of taking the default
and using the sound card built into the computer.

Recording with the sound card explicitly set causes frame skips - LOTS
of frame skips, to the point that the resulting video is completely useless.

At first I thought is was a problem with the new digitizer, but the same
thing happens if I specify the sound card built into the computer.

The normal capture looks like this:
mencoder -tv
driver=v4l2:width=720:height=576:input=2:outfmt=i420:norm=pal:immediatemode=0:forceaudio
-oac mp3lame -lameopts cbr:br=128 -mc 0 -ovc lavc -lavcopts
vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=8000 -vf crop=700:542:12:16,pp=lb,harddup -o
capture.avi tv://

That command uses the new video digitizer on /dev/video0 and the sound
card built into the computer.
mencoder -tv
driver=v4l2:width=720:height=576:input=2:buffersize=256:outfmt=i420:norm=pal:immediatemode=0:forceaudio
-oac mp3lame -lameopts cbr:br=128 -mc 0 -ovc lavc -lavcopts
vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=8000 -vf crop=700:542:12:16,pp=lb,harddup -o
capture.avi tv://

This one explicitly sets the same audio source, but skips like mad and
produces a completely unusable video:
mencoder -tv
driver=v4l2:width=720:height=576:input=2:buffersize=256:outfmt=i420:norm=pal:alsa:adevice=hw.0:immediatemode=0:forceaudio
-oac mp3lame -lameopts cbr:br=128 -mc 0 -ovc lavc -lavcopts
vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=8000 -vf crop=700:542:12:16,pp=lb,harddup -o
capture.avi tv://

Does anyone see what I'm doing wrong to make mencoder skip when
explicitly setting the audio source?

Joseph Eoff