[MEncoder-users] x264encopts is not an MEncoder option

Andrew Berg bahamutzero8825 at gmail.com
Mon May 23 20:40:47 CEST 2011

On 2011.05.23 01:30 PM, Ovidio Pirvu wrote:
> I have just updated mencoder from the daily Mplayer / Mencoder Launchpad
> repository and now encoding is botched. The error message is "*-x264encopts
> is not an MEncoder option*". Seems like a compilation error. Has anyone else
> bumped in to this?
When I was dealing with MEncoder on a Debian box, I always built and
installed x264 from a source tarball and then did the same with MPlayer.
You could possibly build and install x264 (and make sure the libx264.so
symlinks are pointing to the right files; I always had to redo the links
every time x264's version changed) or look for a libx264(-dev?) package
and install it in order to fix the problem. It's not unlikely that the
build you got just wasn't built with x264, in which case you'll have to
build and install x264 and MPlayer yourself.