[MEncoder-users] Bitrate question

larrystotler at netscape.net larrystotler at netscape.net
Thu Mar 31 20:33:35 CEST 2011

Hi guys

I've re-encoded some of my stuff using the -vf pullup,softskip option and have run into an anomaly.

I have all 7 seasons of NCIS on DVD.  I re-ripped them and re-encoded them with the recommended settings for progressive videos.  The first 6 seasons are fine, and all files seem to be around the same size of about 450MB using XviD 2 pass and 1280 bitrate.  However, I have some strangeness in Season 7.  Some of the files are around 400MB.  I verified my scripts and I have bitrate=1280 specified on all episodes.  However, when I use -identify on the ones that are smaller, I get lower bitrates reported.  Episode 1 gives 1014.9kbps, where episode gives 1275kbps(which is about the average of the other season's episodes).  I re-ran the encode and got the same results....

Any idea why these couple of episodes are showing lower file sizes and kbps?

Episode 13 - 1037.9
Episode 12 - 1085.8
Episode 19 - 1180.1

Thanx