[MEncoder-users] Help with mencoder

Andrew Berg bahamutzero8825 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 6 23:57:29 CET 2011

On 2011.03.06 04:11 PM, Jonathan Busby wrote:
> You can't use the text based "cat" command to combine structured binary
> video files -- it just doesn't work that way.
Not entirely true. Some simple containers (e.g. MPEG-PS IIRC) can be
concatenated in such a way and still produce usable video files.
> You have to re-encode (transcode) your source videos into a new video.
Absolutely false. I don't know if MEncoder can do it, but videos with
the same codec, profile and resolution (I think variable frame rate in
this context is practical with Matroska and possibly a couple other
containers) can be combined and muxed into a new container. A special
program may or may not be necessary.

mencoder Zachar*.flv -o Zach_all.avi -forceidx -ovc copy -oac pcm
may work fine. However, I am not familiar with flash containers (and I don't know enough about AVI to know if -forceidx is a good idea or not), so I can't help much more.