[MEncoder-users] avi h264 to mp4 (without transcoding)

Phil Sturges pssturges at gmail.com
Fri Jul 22 09:01:41 CEST 2011

HI,

I have many avi's that are mostly encoded from pal dvd's. They were encoded
using ffmpeg, although I don't recall the precise command I used as it was
some time ago. I don't think they were de-interlaced during encoding. The
video is encoded as h264 with the original ac3 soundtrack. I have been
playing them very effectively through xbmc on my HDTV for some time. I would
now like to make them iOS compatible by putting them in mp4 containers and
adding an aac audio track as the first audio track. I'm trying to avoid
having to re-encode so that it can be done quickly and without loss of video
quality.
I have tried to achieve this with both ffmpeg and also mp4box, but have hit
road blocks with both for different reasons. So, I thought now I'd give
mencoder a go. So far I have the following command:

mencoder video.avi -of lavf -lavfopts format=mp4 -ovc copy -oac faac
-faacopts br=160:mpeg=4:object=2:raw -channels 2 -o video.m4v

The first problem that I need to solve is that the resulting video plays in
various media players including vlc and mplayer, however when played in
itunes there is no video and when played on a ipad the player simply crashes
with no error message.

The second problem is how do add the original sound track as a second sound
track?

Thanks for any help
Phil