[MEncoder-users] H.264 Errors on Hauppauge HD PVR .ts File

Rolf Ernst rolf.ernst at silverlightning.org
Sun Jan 9 16:19:27 CET 2011

On 1/9/2011 4:00 AM, Andrew Berg wrote:
> On 1/7/2011 2:53 PM, Rolf Ernst wrote:
>> I don't use the MPEG4 container due to lack of support for subtitles,
>> chapters, etc and the increased overhead in MKV and lack of support for
>> VFR but I see many people are still using it...
> I use it mainly for compatibility and it's a perfectly fine container
> when I don't need those things (MP4 does support chapters and subtitles
> BTW).
Ok, it doesn't support multiple subtitles, the standard does not support
AC3, and neither chapters. Some proprietary container creators .. (Nero)
use what is called 'user space' but as I said, it's proprietary like
subtitles and chapters in Acis (OpenDML changed some things). All these
containers have space for 'stuff' but if you can't play it on any device
it's questionable. Since matroska has these things as standards you
don't need a special program to support them - any hardware gadget
purporting the matroska standard should support them.

--
/re

"My friends, watch out for the little fellow with an idea"

Tommy Douglass