[MEncoder-users] H.264 Errors on Hauppauge HD PVR .ts File

Rolf Ernst rolf.ernst at silverlightning.org
Tue Jan 4 23:43:04 CET 2011

On 1/4/2011 4:16 PM, Nicholas Oleksinski wrote:
> Hey Rolf!
> Thanks a lot I was nowhere NEAR this set of options.
> One question- why 24fps?  Will 30fps work?
> Thanks
>
> On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 5:10 PM, Rolf Ernst
> <rolf.ernst at silverlightning.org>wrote:
<snip>

The card itself captures at 59.94 fps. The downsampling to 23.976 fps
only works if the material shown is film, of course. In the case of
different source material you should convert to 29.97fps. All commercial
transcoders for 59.94 downsample the frames to 29.97 interlaced - bad
choice in terms of quality if you are encoding film.

In any case, you *don't have to* convert the frame rates. It's just that
59.94fps is not necessarily a common rate used, uses a bit more power in
the decoder and uses a bit more space.

I should add that I am capturing from a cable box (Verizon) at 720p.
This should work at 1080i as well but I think you can omit the
tinterlace then. However, I don't really see the point of capturing an
essentially progressive signal in an interlaced format.

However, when you capture at 1080i (the max, it can't do 1080p) you only
have a frame rate of 29.97, i.e. you have to adjust the parameters I
gave you.
Let me know if you do, I can post that set then.

There is a (more or less) undocumented feature of the box that you can
also capture in SD but the quality seems to be poor.

Now, what I am doing after transcoding this way (I cut using Smartcutter
*without stream fix*, it messes up the first couple of frames).
VideoRedo can also cut and so does Elecard's HD studio or whatever it is
called. I have used all three of them successfully to strip off
beginning and end.

Despite Reimar's assertions to the contrary after demuxing the AC3
*afterwards* and downsampling it with eac3to to Dolby II the now 2
channel Dolby audio sounds awfully close to the AC3 original. Maybe I am
deaf but I don't hear major psy glitches.

Anyhow, YAMF does it automatically when you tick 'Postprocess'.

--
/re

"There's a fine line between audacity and idiocy." — Jim Butcher