[MEncoder-users] is this possible

Lobster lobo at lobs.sytes.net
Sun Feb 27 21:12:51 CET 2011

On 28/02/2011 4:31 a.m., Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 27, 2011 at 01:06:00PM +0000, Daniel Harris wrote:
>> I am trying to record some vhf tape to dvd but after trying what seems
>> like hundreds of combinations I still end up with a/v sync issues.
>> Over an hour the sync only seems to go out by about 100ms so I was
>> thinking about recording in 5 to 10 minute intervals and then cutting
>> and splicing the whole video back together again using scene changes
>> as markers.  Is that possible and is there a way to make mencoder
>> record for 5 or ten minutes and then fire up a second instance say
>> about 30 seconds before the first one ends.  I guess this would
>> require some sort of shell script?
>>
>> Would this be the best way to do this or is their a better way?
> 2) Use -af scaletempo to slightly adjust audio speed up or down
>     to match the video. Not that for quality reasons I'd normally
>     suggest to just tweak the fps value, however if you want to
>     go to DVD you probably have no choice there and then adjusting
>     audio should work better than dropping or duplicating frames.

Does scaletempo even work with mencoder?

Every time I have tried to use it, It has not worked/been used.

Using it to fix av sync issues would be quite a good thing in mencoder
as dropping frames
or duplicating them can look rather bad at times depending on where it
happens in the
video being encoded.