[MEncoder-users] Xvid bff/tff field order issue

Dr.O.Muth at habmalnefrage.de Dr.O.Muth at habmalnefrage.de
Thu Feb 17 17:46:06 CET 2011

Hi Jarek,

sorry, it did not work. Not quite, at least.

On Wed, 16.02.2011, 21:23 +0100 Jarek Czekalski wrote:
> Apply this very patch (from last maile, regards to A in bugzilla) and
> supply the correct option in xvidencopts. Manpage is updated with the
> patch. You should get the correct video for your stationary player. If
> you confirm it's working, maybe someone will decide to commit it.
I applied this patch:
http://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/mplayer-dev-eng/2010-September/066257.html
and encoded with the same options as in my other tests (see first posting in this thread), plus top=[-1|0|1] .

The results:
With top=-1 or top=0:
Mediainfo reports bottom field first. The files are identical (md5sum) to each other and to the file H_fd0.avi that I created with the unpatched mencoder and uploaded to Rapidshare before:
http://rapidshare.com/files/447190604/H_fd0.avi

With top=1:
Mediainfo reports top field first. The file is md5sum-identical to the one I created with mencoder patched with Reimar's patch (see bug 1786):
http://rapidshare.com/files/447531027/H_tff.avi

*All* files look right on a progressive display but awfully wrong on an analog TV. Wear protective goggles... ;-)

Thus, your patch works in that it controls the tff/bff flag as intended - but the encoded videos still have jitter.
There must be another glitch in mencoder or the xvid codec which is not addressed by your patch.

Is the input file wrong?
Check out the video and let me know:
http://rapidshare.com/files/447175514/H_.mpg

However, when I transcode this file with lavc (omitting threads=2, as I now learned), the video looks fine. So I don't see what could be wrong with it.