[MEncoder-users] Xvid bff/tff field order issue

Lobster lobo at lobs.sytes.net
Wed Feb 16 20:24:14 CET 2011

On 17/02/2011 1:27 a.m., Dr.O.Muth at habmalnefrage.de wrote:
> Am Dienstag, den 15.02.2011, 20:48 +0100 schrieb Moritz Barsnick:
> On Sat, Feb 12, 2011 at 15:08:16 +0100, Dr.O.Muth at habmalnefrage.de wrote:
>> I have a classic "SD" interlaced CRT TV set. I fed these files to my
>> (HD capable) HDD receiver's media player, which I assume can output
>> interlaced content as interlaced on the SD baseband output. And indeed,
>> the original file looks fine, both AVIs look very jumpy.
> Thank you!
> At least my dvd-player is Ok then.
>
> But this means that mencoder - with or without patch - is simply not capable of encoding interlaced PAL source files with the xvid codec??
> That's a shame!

Maybe you use this already, maybe not, likely it wont make a difference
to what your problem really is, but have you looked at the interlacing
option under xvidencopts?

check it out in the manpage, should give better quality encodes of
interlaced content.

Also one other thing to note, if you have to use the phase filter to
make your video display correctly, that says to me that it is really
encoded to the opposite field order to what you think it is, so even tho
you think the source is TFF it is likely really BFF.
This is rather common if the source footage has come from some kind of
DV tape (DVCAM, MiniDV etc), and some broadcasters will mix such content
with other sources.

Just some thing to think about.