[MEncoder-users] Xvid bff/tff field order issue

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Tue Feb 15 20:48:50 CET 2011

On Sat, Feb 12, 2011 at 15:08:16 +0100, Dr.O.Muth at habmalnefrage.de wrote:
> Everything looks fine - until I play them on my analog TV.
> They are just as jumpy as the bff ones were before.
[...]
> Could somebody please do me the favor to check out these 10 sec. video clips ?
> And let me know whether they play fine on your interlaced TV?
[...]
> Both AVIs play fine on my progressive display but jumpy on my analog TV.

Same here.

I have a classic "SD" interlaced CRT TV set. I fed these files to my
(HD capable) HDD receiver's media player, which I assume can output
interlaced content as interlaced on the SD baseband output. And indeed,
the original file looks fine, both AVIs look very jumpy.

(I didn't go to the trouble to put those files onto a compliant DVD.
With my DVD player, I would be more sure that interlaced content is
passed to the TV straight interlaced without intervention.)

While deinterlacing seems to be recommended by every one, I agree that
if your content is already interlaced, and your playback device is
(forced to be) interlaced, it would be a good idea to keep the content
that way without intermediate deinterlace. UNLESS you need to change
resolution, and perhaps also taking the MPEG4 comment into account. I
also want to do some analog captures to disk, and burn them to DVD
while keeping them interlaced. Alas, I have yet to find the absolutely
correct capture and conversion settings for mencoder and ffmpeg. :)

Moritz