[MEncoder-users] mencoder and dvdnav://

Sebastien Fievet sebastien.fievet at free.fr
Tue Feb 8 10:32:04 CET 2011

Hello there,

I use a DLNA server (http://code.google.com/p/ps3mediaserver), which relies on Mplayer/Mencoder
to stream content to DLNA renderers (like my Bravia TV). I use it a lot to stream DVDs from my
computer (my DVD-drive is zone 0), and in most cases it works well.

DVD streaming is made with mencoder dvd:// [options], and with some titles i have, it breaks.
I decided to take my chance and make it use mencoder dvdnav:// [options] instead to see if it
helps. It does... With side effects : Streaming jumps backward in the DVD stream repeatedly,
making the playback experience rather unpleasant. :-(

My question is :
- should the -nocache switch be used with mencoder dvdnav://
- could the lack of it cause the jumps i experience?
- is dvdnav support in mencoder widely used and robust, or rather untested?

Thanks for your help,
Seb.