[MEncoder-users] Best options for recording x264 1pass?

Dâniel Fraga fragabr at gmail.com
Wed Feb 2 13:15:05 CET 2011

On Sun, 30 Jan 2011 02:45:55 -0200
Dâniel Fraga <fragabr at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 29 Jan 2011 12:14:52 +0100
> Reimar Döffinger <Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de> wrote:
>
> > It wasn't removed in general, but for x264 you should use presets.
> > I never use it myself, but something like -x264encopts preset=ultrafast
> > should be fast, though you might go for some more reasonable speed/quality
> > compromise.
>
> 	Thanks, I'll try it.

	Hi Reimar, I tried ultrafast, but it doesn't make any
difference. Should I try to ask directly the x264 developers for hints
on how to optimize the real time encoding?

	I ask because I do this recording for years, and it always was
fine, even with weaker processors (like athlon x2 5600+). Now that I
have a Core i7 930, it's amazing to imagine it can't encode it in real
time.

	Unless, of course, the x264 changed to a point where it is much
more cpu intensive.

	Ps: and the "turbo" option changed what options exactly in the
past?

--
Linux 2.6.37: Flesh-Eating Bats with Fangs