[MEncoder-users] Edit Decision List - exact frame cut problem.

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Thu Dec 15 22:37:05 CET 2011

On Mon, Dec 12, 2011 at 12:50:01 +0000, Ian Collier wrote:

> "dvbcut" is meant to be able to do this by only re-encoding the
> frames directly surrounding the cut(s), but (a) I haven't tried it
> properly,

I have and I can only recommend it! Since it only recodes around the
cut points, it doesn't get audio out of sync. (Since cutting audio and
cutting video seem to be two different things, there may be a slight
offset induced, but the program reports it.) You can do multiple
cut-outs within one file,

It's graphical, not command line. It takes a little getting used to the
controls, but once you get the hang of them, they're neat.

> and (b) it looks quite old (though rpmfusion currently offers packages
> based on svn rev 178 which is somewhat newer than the last released
> version).

So what, it works fine. :-) That last SVN commit was some library
compatibility thing, IIRC. And dvbcut only handles MPEG2 input (in MPEG
or TS containers, I think).

It combines the output into a single MPEG container, and even produces
a corresponding dvdauthor XML file. Nice if you use the GUI to also
mark chapters.

I'm still looking for a comparable MPEG4 solution (but so are the
developers). :-)

Disclaimer: I have mostly used it on Windows, seldomly on Linux.

Moritz